Simply enter your student information, select your services, and schedule your sessions! From there you can monitor your progress, schedule drive times, and check upcoming sessions all online!
Bensons Driving School Regulations
- All students must be 15years and 9 months by the first day of class. at 15 1/2 students may legally practice drive only in the State of New Hampshire if accompanied by a licensed driver at least 25 years of age and who is seated in the front and the student must have on their person a copy of their birth certificate. Only a parent or guardian can sign the 40 hour driving log. Students do not have any other restrictions because they are, in effect,driving under the supervising person's license.
- We are available for a parent meeting for any parents interested one hour prior to the start of the first class. Please use this opportunity for any questions you may have regarding the upcoming course.
- Students must pass an eye chart examination (20/40)on the 1st day of class.We will need a copy of the student's birth certificate prior to any driving.
- No smoking, swearing or disruptive behavior will be tolerated during driver education instruction.
- Prior to taking the DMV test, students must have completed a 40 hour driving log to record all driving done outside of driver education. At least 10 of these hours must be done at night. This log may be started when the student becomes 15 1/2. We will provide this form on the 1st day of class; this form may also be obtained at any New Hampshire DMV substation.
- New Hampshire law requires that a student under 18 years old must complete a driver education course consisting of 30 hours of classroom, 10 hours of driving and 6 hours of observation before they can be eligible for a certificate of completion. All Classroom ,driving and observation must be completed before 6 months after the last day of class or student must retake course at full cost.
- Per New Hampshire law, a student is not allowed to miss any driver education class time . A signed note from parent is required before the student may return to class. Any student 10 minutes late or less must complete an activity relevant to class during their usual break time. Any student over 10 minutes late must be considered absent from that class.
- Any student missing a class due to good cause must contact Jon Benson for the required make-up procedure. No more than 4 hours total of class may be missed or student must retake the driver education course.
- Students cannot drive with driver's ed for more than two hours in one week and not more than one hour in a day. After the 6th driving lesson a student may drive two hours in a row. We will be focusing on all aspects of driving and we hope to be able to drive with students under all possible weather and traffic conditions. Experience is the key to becoming a successful driver, so the more you drive with your child the better they will become. We have specific lessons that we teach as the student progresses on the road and we cannot move to the next lesson until they are ready. For example, we are not going to start teaching parallel parking to a student until they can master driving down the road in a straight line. We will be learning to enter and exit highways; we do this by getting on and off the highway several times. Driving on a highway is relatively easy because they are generally flat and straight. We find that the most difficult aspect is entering, so we will be doing this repetitively during those lessons. We will be teaching backing, backing into driveways and turnabouts. We will be doing forward, reverse, angle and parallel parking next to cars, as well as in empty lots and in town with traffic. We will be driving in both rural and city areas. We are going to drive with the radio on, with students in the backseat, with students talking in the backseat, because that is probably the environment they will be driving under once they get their license and are on their own. We are going to try to drive anywhere and under any circumstances that your child may face while they are driving. We drive in 60 minute increments. The student should be ready for us 15 minutes before the scheduled drive time and, because we cannot predict weather, road or traffic conditions or the driving abilities of other students, we ask students not to plan to be home until ï¿½ hour after their lesson ends so they should plan accordingly.
- For students that live in and/or attend school in our serviced driving area, we do not require meeting spots that would cause you to have to leave work or home in order for your child to receive their lessons. We pick students up at home or school, after school, for their driving. All students must drive with the class location they are attending. If a student attends a class outside of their usual location, the student will be required to meet the instructor at a predetermined location within that schools area. i.e. A student from Dover taking the Epsom course will be required to meet at the Epsom location for driving. etc.
- We have found that students who rely only on the 10 hours provided by a driver education course do not receive sufficient experience to prepare them for driving, It is imperative that the student complete the 40 hours required driving prior to taking the state DMV test. Also, because the student supplies the vehicle to be tested in, it is important that they practice any maneuvers in that vehicle also.
- Students will be provided with a textbook, DMV driving manual and all neccessary paperwork. Textbook must be returned in the same condition it was received in or a charge of $74.00 to replace the textbook must be paid before the student will receive driver completion certificate.
- Students must have a passing grade of 75% to pass the course. Students will be graded as follows: Chapter Tests: 50 % of final grade Final Exam: 50 % of final grade.
- Students must have a 75 % average on the chapter tests in order to take the final. Failure to achieve this will result in the student retaking the course. Students must receive a passing grade of 75 % on the final exam.Those not passing may retake the exam after 10 days, there is no additional fee for this.
- Any student who becomes a disruption to the class, uses inappropriate language or refuses to do required work will be removed from the program with NO refund.
- Students should expect to commit to 2 hours of driving times per week. Any scheduled driving time that the student misses without giving a 24 hour notification will result in a $75.00 per hour rescheduling fee.Students names are drawn randomly every Monday for selection of drive times. We understand that students are also busy with work, sports and other activities but driver's ed is also a commitment. We try to be as flexible as possible. There is no favoritism in drive selection, everyone is equally important to us and random selection allows this.
- Students are not allowed to use or have cell phones or ipods on during any portion of driver education instruction.
- Any student attending classroom or driving instruction in possession of weapons of any kind or alcohol or drugs, internal or external will be removed from driver education and not allowed to return,with NO refund. We are required by law to report to the local police and the Department of Safety the use or possession of any of the above during any portion of driver education instruction.
- If the student has an IEP or any other type of learning disability it may be beneficial to share that with us so that we can address and accommodate for that. All information shared with us is strictly confidential.
- Students will not receive a certificate of completion if any of the following also apply:
- Not paid in full
- No textbook returned
- Incomplete homework or class assignments
- Failing average on chapter tests or final exam
- All deposits are non-refundable. No refund of tuition will be given after the 3rd class. Any refund given up to that point will be given minus $ 65.00 for each hour of driving provided.
- Any payments not received prior to 14 days before the class ends must be paid in cash or money order or paid online or students must wait until the check clears before they will receive their certificate of completion.Returned check fee is $30.00. Any student with an oustanding balance due will not allowed to schedule driving until balance is paid.
- All neccessary forms for licensing will be supplied on the last day of class. Students must have the following when they go to the New Hampshire DMV for their licensing tests:
- Birth certificate with the raised seal
- Actual social security card or a passport
- 40 hour log sheet
- $ 50.00 license fee
- Legally inspected vehicle
- Parental permission form for a license signed by a parent or guardian if under the age of 18 ( parent does not have to be present )
- Driver's license application
- State of NH driver license testing occurs in the following order:
- Eye Test----must pass reading 20/40
- Written Test----40 questions multiple choice questions with a 20 minute time limit
- Road Test----test is done as a point system with points being deducted for various driving errors
- Anyone failing the DMV written test may retake that in 10 days. Anyone failing the road test may have to wait anywhere between 10 days and one year, depending on the reason for failure. Three (3) fails on the road test will result in the applicant not being able to practice drive for one year or having to retake a driver education course.
- Once your student gets their license there are restrictions for anyone holding a Youth Operator License:, the restrictions are: no more than one non-relative in your vehicle at any time during the first six months, unless accompanied by a responsible adult 25 years of age or older that holds a valid license, and the student cannot drive between 1 AM and 4 AM until they are 18 years of age.
- Late Pick-up Fee: Often our instructors have driving appointments or other obligations at the end of class. Therefore there will be a charge for any student not picked up on time as follows : 1-15 Minutes=$ 25.00 charge 16-30 minutes= $ 50.00 charge 31-45 minutes= 75.00 charge 45-60 minutes $ 100.00 charge. Though this fee is collected by the school , all fees will be paid to the instructor by the school.
PARENTS HAVE THE RIGHT TO REVOKE THE LICENSE OF ANY CHILD UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE FOR ANY REASON. This revocation acts the same as if the courts revoked it. Your child will have to pay the state a fee to get their license reinstated.
These rules are set forth so that everyone will have a complete understanding of our program. We are concerned with the student's well being, as well as a positive, distraction free learning experience for all. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact us to address the issue.